Re: got my woody working, wanted to upgrade, already ruined my system

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 10:13:20AM -0700, David Millet wrote:

> they said that the stable debian might be a little outdated and i didnt
> listen.  but they were right!  it installed well, it was stable, but it
> was outdated.  and me, being the kind of guy that will spend the extra
> $10,000 for a car that is brand spankin new, wanted to upgrade
> everything.

Heh!  Heatseeker  ;-)
http://www.faqs.org/docs/jargon/H/heatseeker.html

> so i installed kde 3.1 off of the kde mirror, tried to get
> superkaramba installed, i went absolutely nuts, starting uninstalling
> stuff, installing new stuff, trying to upgrade stuff like mad, i became
> lost in something that wasnt rpm hell,

First off, did you make sure that the stuff you were installing was
compled for woody?
If you start installing packages that are compiled for sid or sarge onto
a woody system, they'll often have lots of dependencies... In the long
run this often ends up meaning your libc6 gets upgraded. As soon as that
happens, you might as well just dist-upgrade, because _everything_
hinges on libc6...

> would it be smarter to just go with the stable release and do an
> "apt-get -t testing -u dist-upgrade" once i've specified a testing
> mirror?

Basically, yes. Last I heard, the sarge installer is still very much in
a beta-testing state.  The recommended way to install sarge is to
install a minimal woody system (the less packages the better), then
_replace_ all woody sources with sarge sources in sources.list, and then
do an apt-get dist-upgrade...
You probably don't want to leave both woody and sarge sources in there
at the same time... maintaining a "mixed system" gets complicated.

> or should i simply go with the stable release and learn to be
> happy with that?

You could do what I do: run woody, and install backports of things where
you absolutely must have a newer version. Backports are unofficial debs,
taken usually from sid sources, but compiled against all the libraries
and stuff for woody. So you get a package that'll install on woody
without wanting to upgrade all of hell and creation.
apt-get.org is the place to start looking for backports.

Personally I wouldn't recommend going to testing or unstable until you
have a little experience with woody so you're familiar with how debian
does things, how apt handles dependencies, etc.

	Cheers!
--