Re: got my woody working, wanted to upgrade, already ruined my system

Don't take my word for it, i still consider myself a noob and probably will always do:) But i have been running debian for a long time now, my experience with testing is it sometimes can take a long time for a package to get updated, so if something is broke you can end up being stuck with it for a while. SID is speed of light, if something breaks it usually gets fixed fast. But testing has less broken stuff than SID, so it's kinda choice between more broken stuff(usually nothing major) which gets fixed fast or less broken stuff but the chance of having to wait way longer for an update. This also goes for security related things, stable has security taken care off seperatly, SID moves so fast that if there is a vulnerabilty it will be solved pronto, but with testing it can take longer. So that's a bit more risky.

Uptill last weekend i never had something really major go wrong with SID, something did go rather bonkers on a friday relating to my 2.4.22 kernels, and whatever it was 3 days later it was fixed(and i could still run it anyways with older kernels so my system was not 'unusable') That's why i went back to stable with my server, which is something i should have done anyways when that machine got degraded from desktop to server, but i was too lazy to put it all back to stable.

So my personal experience is SID for the desktop and stable or woody for
a server, this does not mean that stable isn't suitable for the desktop cause it is.

Cheers

David Millet wrote:

huh? am i hearing your right?
> you're suggesting i try out sid instead of sarge? for a desktop machine is that the way to go?
> anybody else have any input on this?
>
> david

Stable is very stable...i'm learning to live with it now since last week's mess i had with SID. Stable for my DVR/imap/samba sever, SID/winXP on the desktop beast...so if SID goes bonkers on me i just go back to winXP for a few days and then run an apt update which usually fixes SID :) Testing, well....that's sorta like grandma, everyone loves her but no one wants her in their house permanently.. So for me from now on, stable and only get backports of stuff if i really really need.