Re: got my woody working, wanted to upgrade, already ruined my system

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Millet" <david@tellim.com>
To: "debian users" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 12:13 PM
Subject: got my woody working, wanted to upgrade, already ruined my system

> so hi, its me the debian noob again, already breaking my oath to not bug
> you folks too much with my issues, but oh well, i'd appreciate some help
> anyways.
>
> they said that the stable debian might be a little outdated and i didnt
> listen.  but they were right!  it installed well, it was stable, but it
> was outdated.  and me, being the kind of guy that will spend the extra
> $10,000 for a car that is brand spankin new, wanted to upgrade

David - I'm new to Debian, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt
(or a shaker of salt!). I was running Debian Stable for a web,weblog &
e-mail server. Decided to upgrade to Testing. I changed my sources.list to
point to Testing and away I went. It took a LONG time because my playing PC
is an ancient east with very little memory. After running Lilo, the upgrade
worked like a charm. I then upgraded the kernel as well (and made the
suggested changes to Lilo and re-ran it). Worked like a charm again.

I did break things by switching packages and not knowing what they do or how
to configure them. Not desktop packages, but went from exim to sendmail to
procmail to exim4. A guy is bound to break something by not nowing how those
mail packages work or how to configure them. I did the same by switching
from uw-pop and uw-imap to Courier.Just had to ask questions and read some
doc, and they're function again.

My suggestion: listen to people that have done it longer than I have, be
prepared for things to work well in the upgrade, but if you switch packages
without knowing what they are, how they used to work, and how the work now -
be prepared to o some googling!