Re: Desktop hostname?

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 09:05:31PM -0500, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> David Jardine wrote:
> >On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:33:49PM -0600, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> >
> >>I'm an average-Joe user on a lone desktop machine connected to the
> >>internet
> >>through a cable modem & router. Currently, I have my hostname set to
> >>'Moe',
> >>simply because I think Moe is a good name for my computer. This seems to
> >>show up
> >>in lots of other things, though, like assumed e-mail addresses and default
> >>identifiers and such. Is there anything this /should/ be set to?
> >>'localhost'
> >>seems to be the default, but that doesn't seem any more descriptive or
> >>useful
> >>than my made-up name.
> >

> >Did you just tell exim it was called "Moe" or is that the name
> >you've given it?
>

> That's the name I gave it.
>

> >I'm sure I'm one of the most clueless people that ever joined this
> >mailing list, and I got it to work. :)
>
> Well, I got the local-only delivery to work. I'm wondering if I can send
> out SMTP messages from my computer with it. What will the 'from' line
> say? joel@Moe.(none)?

At the end of the /etc/etc/exim.conf configuration file you'll
find the "rewrite configuration" section.  I have created several
users for myself on my machine with different e-mail addresses
and so I have lines like

woe@quash   info@worldofenglish.com   bcfrF
one@quash   david@jardine.de          bcfrF

in that section.  The letters at the end determine which headers
exim will rewrite.  "quash" is my hostname and "woe" and "one"
are two of the user names.  The second column contains my real
e-mail addresses.

By the way, don't take correspondence off the list unless it
really becomes private.  Someone else may spot an error in my
reply or have something relevant to add, or my find it useful.
Use the "list-reply" command ("L" in mutt, if that's what you're
using) and not the ordinary "reply" command.

Hope you get it working.
David

--
David Jardine