using exim directly instead of smarthost

Hi,

i have configured exim 4 and it runs fine. I use the smarthost option
and thus send mails via my ISP. I was wondering if i could do the same
by NOT using the smarthost option and use my exim4 to do this?

Also, i've have always wondered how one sets up a "real" mail server:
if you had a domain registered foobar.com and wanted all mail directed
to *@foobar.com to end up at your mailserver. Am i correct in assuming
that you need mx records to do this and a fixed ip? Is there any info
that explains these steps?

Thanks
Benedict