Re: What's the best package manager for single-package upgrades?

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:19:47AM -0800, Joe Rhett wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:41:50PM -0600, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
> > > Try adding this line to your /etc/apt/apt.conf file and see if you get
> > > better results with your 'apt-get update':
> > > APT::Default-Release "testing";
> >
> > That's unnecessary if you only have one release listed in
> > /etc/apt/sources.list (which is the configuration I'd strongly
> > recommend) and may just introduce confusion in that case.
>
> Although I totally understand your logic, the idea I am hoping can work is
> to run 'stable' by default, and upgrade to 'testing' versions of packages
> only as necessary to fulfill a given need.

While it's a nice idea, it won't actually work as you want, because
packages in testing almost always depend on testing's libc6. Once you've
upgraded to that, there's really very little point in trying to run
stable for everything else, because you've already upgraded one of the
parts of the system most likely to introduce instability.

Also, other packages, particularly those related to interpreters like
perl and python, frequently require the upgrade of surprisingly large
swathes of your system.

This is why I recommend against trying to mix stable and testing.

Cheers,