Re: Separate /home drive?

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 16:20, David Palmer. wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:38:06 -0600
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 15:24, David Palmer. wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've been reading different partitioning howtos but can't find any
> > > reference to a situation I thought I would like to install.
> > > It's probably a newbie idea, but I wondered if it would be possible
> > > to have system partitions on one drive, and posting to /home on
> > > another. If it is possible, does anybody have a reference they could
> > > point me to?
> >
> > Sure, why not?
> >
> I'm aware that there is a standard cross balance/reference configuration
> from server box to server box to copy information from one to the other
> in case of server failure. Is it possible to employ the same or similar
> mechanism to copy from drive to drive within the PC environment, or is
> this only possible by way of a periodic backup procedure, perhaps
> through cron, anacron, or another utility?
> I'm looking at maintaining a copy of the /home drive in the above
> configuration in the case of drive failure. I can always boot into
> system partitions with a rescue disc, but I want to be able to preserve
> the info on /home.

I think I'd do nightly rsync's or tars.  Directing it to an external
firewire disk that you can umount and take with you would be great.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
YODA: No... no... no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
LUKE: But how will I know why Python is better than Perl?
YODA: You will know. When your code you try to read six months
from now.