Re: xfce

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 13:53, Kent West wrote:
> Cleveland@mail.winnefox.org wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just installed Debian 3. I noticed it doesn't seem to have a gui
> > installed. So, I went ahead and installed xfce. Stupid question, but I
> > can't seem to figure out how to start it?
> >

> Not knowing what your level of *nix knowledge is, it's hard to answer
> without being too terse or too simplistic.
>
> xfce is just a window manager on top of the GUI (the X11 Window System
> server - don't think of "server" as a computer in the "Computing
> Center"; think of it as a "base foundation of the graphical environment"
> -- not exactly accurate, but good enough for this discussion).
>
> So not only do you need a window manager such as xfce or icewm (or a
> more bloated windowing environment such as KDE or Gnome), you also need
> need the base GUI (X11).
>
> You should be able to install tasksel, and then run it, and select "X
> window system" to get a basic system up and running.
>
> You can create a file named ".xinitrc" in your home folder, and put the
> single line in it:
> 	xfce
> to start xfce on top of X when X starts.

But to actually *start* X, you run the command
startx

And .xinitrc is not needed, depending on what /etc/alternatives/
x-session-manager and /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager point to.
Since I only have Gnome installed, they point to gnome-session and
metacity.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Causation does NOT equal correlation !!!!!!!!