RE: xfce

Hi Kent,

> Not knowing what your level of *nix knowledge is, it's hard to answer
> without being too terse or too simplistic.

I've been using Redhat for about a year now. I know it fairly well, but
I have to admit I'm a bit "gui dependent".

> You should be able to install tasksel, and then run it, and select "X
> window system" to get a basic system up and running.

I didn't see X window system, but I did see desktop system. I went ahead
and installed it. Unfortunately, it installed kde and gnome with it. I
didn't see an option to have it not do that. Anyway, after installing I
type "startx" and get this error message:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xservrc: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file or
directory

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xservrc: exec: /usr/bin/X11/X: cannot execute:
No such file or directory

giving up.

Never saw a program give up before, so that was interesting.

> You can create a file named ".xinitrc" in your home folder,
> and put the single line in it:
> 	xfce
> to start xfce on top of X when X starts.

Tried that, but still the same error.

Is there something else I need to do?

Jody