Re: xfce

Cleveland@mail.winnefox.org wrote:
Hello,

I just installed Debian 3. I noticed it doesn't seem to have a gui
installed. So, I went ahead and installed xfce. Stupid question, but I
can't seem to figure out how to start it?

Not knowing what your level of *nix knowledge is, it's hard to answer without being too terse or too simplistic.

xfce is just a window manager on top of the GUI (the X11 Window System server - don't think of "server" as a computer in the "Computing Center"; think of it as a "base foundation of the graphical environment" -- not exactly accurate, but good enough for this discussion).

So not only do you need a window manager such as xfce or icewm (or a more bloated windowing environment such as KDE or Gnome), you also need need the base GUI (X11).

You should be able to install tasksel, and then run it, and select "X window system" to get a basic system up and running.

You can create a file named ".xinitrc" in your home folder, and put the single line in it:
	xfce
to start xfce on top of X when X starts.

--
Kent