Re: Debian menu empty in gnome-panel

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 16:39, ZHAO Wei wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please Cc: me! Thanks!
>
> I'm using Debian unstable. There is a bottom menu entry tagged "Debian
> menu" in the pull-down of the "Applications" button in the gnome-panel.
>
> It's empty there under the "Debian menu" ! There's nothing as sub-entry
> below it.
>
> How could I have anything under this menu entry ? Or, how can I delete
> this menu entry if it is empty ?

This menu should have entries in it.  I had the same problem and
stumbled into the solution after reading man pages regarding "menu"
and "panel".  locate(1) is your friend!

1st, thing, though, is to log in (*not* su!) as root, and go into
X.

Make sure that package "menu" is installed, then 'man update-menus'.

# update-menus --stdout > /tmp/menu-stdin
# /etc/menu-methods/gnome-panel -v < /tmp/menu-stdin

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Peace Thru Superior Firepower