Re: crontab

On 2003-11-05, <jonchatfield@myacc.net> <jonchatfield@myacc.net> wrote:

> I am trying to add apt-get update, and apt-get -qqy dist-update to my crontab
> to run daily att 6 am and have it send its output to a text file.
> my crontab entries look like:
> 0 6 * * * root apt-get update
> 1 6 * * * root apt-get -y dist-upgrade | less >> ~/distuplog.txt
> It doesnt seem to work.

I guess you get a 'command not found' or something like that.

apt-get is in /usr/bin and that path isn't in the default PATH variable.
re-edit the file you updated, and add /usr/bin to the PATH variable.

I think you shouldn't launch a dist-upgrade in a cron job : dist-upgrade are
sometimes interactive and you really should have a look at it while it runs...