Re: Going to give it another shot-need more help

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:52:38 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

>[Snipping most]
>
>On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 at 06:45 GMT, Mark Healey penned:
>>
>> I've decided to try to recompile the latest kernel.  I figure that it
>> would be nice to have the latest kernel with support for only the
>> hardware I have (or think I might add in the future) and none for what
>> I won't ever have.  But, this is hacker level stuff I've never done,
>> so I'm going to need a whole-lotta help.
>
>Have you ever written any code before, or even compiled anything?  Just
>trying to establish a baseline of what you might know.

Not much.  I did some C programming in OS/2 about 10 years ago.  Just
some little utilities.  An occasional C program for CGI.  Some
Perl.  A shitload of Rexx and macros in E (the macro language for the
OS/2 text editor).  I'm going to miss OS/2.  The WPS is the best GUI
ever.

>> Any downloads required are going to have to be done on my OS/2 machine
>> and burned to a CD.
>>
>> One of my main concerns is that I don't want to have to go through a
>> whole stack of CD becuasue I didn't get everything I need and have to
>> go back.
>
>Don't suppose you have a zip drive or keychain usb drive sitting around?

No and one of the reasons I'm finally leaving OS/2 is that the USB
support sucks.

>> I currently have the default "vanilla" installation in the machine I
>> plan to put Debian on (It's eventual home will be inside a Mame cab).
>
>Mame cab?  What is this beast?

An arcade style video game cabinet.  Mame is an emublator of old
arcade games.

http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm
http://www.mame.net/

>I still think that the $15 NIC would be the easiest.

Car has no accelerator cable.

  Someone else's
>earlier suggestion about using Knoppix was also a pretty good one --
>Knoppix's ability to detect stuff is nothing short of amazing to me.  It
>even knew the exact model of the wireless USB mini-mouse I was using on
>a laptop.  I bet you could boot up the latest version of Knoppix, have
>network support without having to manually configure a single thing,
>mount your hard drive, d/l the new kernel and compile it, etc, then
>afterwards boot off the hard drive.  You would have to learn the chroot
>command and a couple of other arcane things, but you wouldn't have to
>burn through a bunch of CD-Rs.  And did I mention Knoppix is sweet?

I'll burn a Knoppix CD tomorrow and give it a shot.

Mark Healey
deblist@healeyonline.com

Giving debian a chance.