Re: fsck seg. fault Please Help! -- (OK so far!)

Werner Scharinger wrote:

Am Montag, 3. November 2003 09:00 schrieb Matt:
Bruce Sass wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, matt wrote:
hi, the other day my woody machine just kinda stopped working...upon a
reboot i learned via beep-codes that the ram had failed.  i broke out the
shop-vac and cleaned it out and it started to boot...here's where the
troubble began...

"Unable to andle kernel paging request at virtual address >>blabla hex<<
I've seen this message (or something very similar) when I had a bad
stick of RAM... did you replace your RAM or just vacuum the dust off?
this did cross my mind...there is one stick that i've had problems with
on and off since i bought it in 1999.  i cleaned it and put it back in.
i thought it may have been a problem with fsck b/c i thought seg faults
happened when a program tried to access memory "owned" by another user.
i'll run fsck with only one stick in there at a time and hopefuly it
will work.

Just try to proof your RAM with free memtest86, download under:
http://www.memtest86.com

Bye, Werner
actually it's a compaq and has some pretty good looking diagnostics in f10setup. i tested one stick (took about 2 hrs) and they ran fsck again. the entire directory tree was gone after a handful of fsck passes. lost+found was full of lost folders...after a little searching, i found my home directory! most everything in it looks intact! i'm a very happy man. it was a challange to get the 1.5 gb of data off that machine, but installing potato in what used to be the swap partition gave me enough to sftp it out!

i am very happy so far  :D
-matt