Re: Going to give it another shot-need more help

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:52:38AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 at 06:45 GMT, Mark Healey penned:
> >
> > I've decided to try to recompile the latest kernel.  I figure that it
> > would be nice to have the latest kernel with support for only the
> > hardware I have (or think I might add in the future) and none for what
> > I won't ever have.  But, this is hacker level stuff I've never done,
> > so I'm going to need a whole-lotta help.
>
> Have you ever written any code before, or even compiled anything?  Just
> trying to establish a baseline of what you might know.

FWIW, I compiled my first custom kernel very recently, following the
Very Verbose Guide...
...and found the process remarkably painless.  And I'm nobody's hacker.
I once took a one-term class in C programming, but never wrote anything
more sophisticated than a 25-line program to sort numbers into
descending order.

<SNIP>
> ...  I bet you could boot up the latest version of Knoppix, have
> network support without having to manually configure a single thing,
> mount your hard drive, d/l the new kernel and compile it, etc, then
> afterwards boot off the hard drive.  You would have to learn the chroot
> command and a couple of other arcane things, but you wouldn't have to
> burn through a bunch of CD-Rs.  And did I mention Knoppix is sweet?

I'll second this.  It's what got me out of the exact same situation,
just last week. The reason I compiled my first kernel, as mentioned
above, was to make my NIC work. And I didn't even need to learn chroot
to do it. (Boot knoppix, mount HD read-write, D/L kernel sources, reboot
into Debian, compile new kernel, boot new kernel.)

No doubt a $15 NIC would have been easier, but I'm a starving student
and had already spent $25CDN (which I could ill afford) on the first
one.

	Cheers!
--