Re: POP3 mail fetcher that supports unreliable connections?

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 at 21:54 GMT, Vincent Lefevre penned:
> On 2003-11-04 10:41:10 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>> That's because fetchmail didn't lose the mail; the delivery system
>> did.
>
> In some sense, yes. But if fetchmail didn't use the delivery system, I
> wouldn't have lost mail.

And if I hadn't typed 'rm -rf' in my root directory, I wouldn't have
lost my system.  In both cases, the behavior is well documented, and in
both cases, user error can end in disaster.

>> You're absolutely right -- a misconfigured MTA is dangerous and can
>> lose your mail. What does this have to do with fetchmail?
>
> fetchmail uses a MTA, instead of doing the delivery itself (to control
> everything). If you want an example of a POP3 fetcher that does the
> delivery itself: getmail.

fetchmail follows the "unix philosophy" of chaining well-defined
capabilities so as not to reinvent the (less capable) wheel.  If you
don't like that approach, then don't use the tool, but don't claim that
the tool is poorly designed just because you don't like this philosophy
and furthermore didn't take the time to understand the basics of how the
tool worked.

Bleh.  I don't know why I'm wasting energy arguing this point.  I'm
done.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.