Re: install local deb file

Colin, I suspect your directions fixed my problem, but I still fumble
on the final installation.

> OK, I would advise two things. Firstly, /etc/apt/sources.list should
> contain this instead of the last line:
>
>   deb file:/storage/debs ./

This was accepted when I did # aptitude update

> Secondly, generate the Packages.gz file like this:
>
>   cd /storage/debs
>   dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null > Packages
>   gzip Packages

A bit different than the procedure I originally used. I have in my
/storage/debs three .deb files: a libdvdcss2, which is what I am
really trying to install. It has two dependencies: the libc6 is just
an update; a libdb1-compat, which I must install to satisfy the libc6
update. Although a bit complicated, I packed all three into the
Package.gz file, hoping that # aptitude-install libdvdcss2 would do
it.

It did get to the point that it said it would upgrade 1 package and
install 2, so aptutde install understood the logic of the
situation. However, when I told it to proceed, I got errors. Apparently
the livdcdcss2 was found, but not its two depencies:

  Err file: debs/ libdb1-compat 2.1.3-7
      File not found
  Err file: debs/ libc6 2.3.2-9
      File not found

Here's the first section of my new Packages.gz file:

Package: libc6
Version: 2.3.2-9
Section: base
Maintainer: GNU Libc Maintainers <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>
Depends: libdb1-compat
Suggests: locales, glibc-doc
Conflicts: strace (<< 4.0-0), libnss-db (<= 2.2-6.1.1), timezone, timezones, gconv-modules, libtricks, libc6-doc, libc5 (<< 5.4.33-7), libpthread0 (<< 0.7-10), libc6-bin, libwcsmbs, apt (<< 0.3.0), libglib1.2 (<< 1.2.1-2), netkit-rpc, wine (<< 0.0.20021007-1)
Provides: glibc-2.3.2-9
Replaces: ldso (<= 1.9.11-9), timezone, timezones, gconv-modules, libtricks, libc6-bin, netkit-rpc, netbase (<< 4.0)
Architecture: i386
Filename: ./libc6_2.3.2-9_i386.deb
Size: 3730358
MD5sum: 93b2fe09ef8ebbb2612216502245a0c2
 Contains the standard libraries that are used by nearly all programs on
 the system. This package includes shared versions of the standard C library
 and the standard math library, as well as many others.
 Timezone data is also included.
source: glibc
installed-size: 12808

Haines