Re: install local deb file

> I'm confused; 'dpkg -i' is quite happy to take absolute paths. What does
> 'ls -l /storage/debs/libdvdcss2.deb' say?
>
> Are you sure that it isn't really
> /storage/debs/libdvdcss2_someversionorother_i386.deb?
>
> > Once I did that, it went OK, except that the package had an unmet
> > dependency.
> >
> > The .deb extension should not be present.
>
> I beg to differ; it certainly should. 'dpkg -i' takes the exact name of
> the file, and does not do any magic with extensions. For aptitude,
> you're correct that the extension should not be used, but aptitude
> requires you to generate a Packages file or to use a properly set up
> mirror somewhere else.

Colin, Thanks. That paragraph a revellation on several counts.

> If you've just downloaded the .deb file, use 'dpkg -i
> libc6_2.3.2-9_i386.deb' to install it.

A question about how to handle dependencies when using dpkg -i. What
I'm trying to do is install libdvdcss2, which depends on my upgrading
libc6, and that, in turn depends on libdb1-compat.

If I run dpkg -i on just the libdvdcss2_1.2.5-0.2_i386.deb, I assume
it will not know to look in the same folder for any files that might
satisfy dependencies.

Haines