Re: linux-kernel-headers foul-up

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:10:49 +0100,
wsa wrote:

> Well, I'm having serious problems with Mplayer, actually with
> mencoder to be exact.  I have a load of automated 'vcr'
> recording scripts.  These scripts have always worked and have
> given out the right kind of files with the right kind of
> bitrate(given in the script) correct timings, correct
> audio...and so...in short...perfectly fine mpeg 4 recordings.

I also use some vcr scripts.  But now I don't recall having run
them with the new libc6 before I recompiled mplayer.  The upgrade
apparently took out some library my unpackaged mplayer (in
/usr/local/stow) depended.  I was forced to recompile.  But xine
and xawtv ran in their pristine Debian installed form.

> Right now running one of those scripts, so it's not me making a
> command mistake, result in an avi with the wrong bitrate, wrong
> timing/length (not running for the total given time), utterly
> messed up sound and so on.FUBAR.
>
> This is with an mplayer/mencoder version compiled from CVS
> which worked fine before this header stuff came along last
> friday, last time i did a compile of the mplayer source was
> about 2 weeks ago.
>
> So mencoder does run, but it has become useless. So apart from
> compile time this whole thing also messes up at least some
> already compiled programms.

Maybe it's time to file a serious bug report against
linux-kernel-headers.  IMHO there should at least be two header
packages, one for 2.4 and another for 2.6.  One could be
installed by default, but if that breaks your system you could
install the alternate.

If my suggestion is brain-damaged then perhaps someone could
propose a better solution (hopefully not by forcing everybody to
upgrade to 2.6).  Speak up and be heard ;-).  The future of your
kernel-linked apps is in the air.