Re: linux-kernel-headers foul-up

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 09:52:16PM +0800, csj wrote:
> What precisely does this package do?  It's listed as a dependency
> of the latest libc6 packages (which I made the mistake of
> compiling then installing).

It includes the files in /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm which
used to be part of libc6-dev. This is simply a packaging reorganization.

> The package appears to introduce massive breakage when compiling any
> program that links to some kernel function (e.g. mplayer and xawtv
> doing framebuffer video).

Programs written that way always had a sword of potential breakage
hanging over them. The standard way to deal with this at the moment,
suboptimal though it is, is to copy the header files you need from the
kernel and include them in your own package; that way you're safe from
changes to glibc.

> I'm a bit suspicious of the version number: 2.5.999-test7-bk-6.

The move to 2.6 headers was necessary in order to support NPTL in glibc.

Cheers,