Re: linux-kernel-headers foul-up

At Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:12:07 +0100,
wsa wrote:

> Thanks for explaining this in the other thread aswell.  What i
> wanted to ask, could this package be the cause of custom 2.4.22
> kernels not going past INIT (today's update fixed this problem)
> which i and a few other people experienced over the last
> weekend?

I have recompiled (and run) my custom 2.4.X kernel against the
new libc6 without any problems.

> The original poster mentioned both mplayer and xawtv breakage, both i
> use because the server(mplayer self compiled)acts as a vcr aswell. Does
> this mean i should not recompile either one and leave them as is?

Xine also fails to compile (ditto nvrec, a low overhead recording
program).  My conclusion: all video applications are affected.
This is as far as compiling goes.  I've seen no problems with a
previously working program suddenly failing to run.

> And last question, if this new splitting stuff causes breakage
> who will solve this? is this a debian issue, a linux issue or
> should the sources of for example mplayer be changed?

Actually I can see the benefits of splitting.  For me the problem
was that the glibc team decided to use the broken (tm) 2.6
kernel.  Fixing the problem should be as easy as rebuilding the
linux-kernel-headers source by sticking in your own
kernel-headers (from your custom make-kpkg kernel) into ./include
and perhaps deleting the ./debian/patches directory.  Install the
hacked package over the official Debian version, and you're good
to recompile mplayer, xine, xawtv and friends.  To be on the safe
side, restore the official Debin package after the operation.

My proposed reportbug fix is to have linux-kernel-headers as a
virtual "provides" package.  Then we could have separate 2.2, 2.4
and 2.6 headers packages, the same way we already have separate
kernel packages for 2.2, 2.4 and the broken 2.6 kernel.

> Every time i start to think 'i'm getting the hang of linux'
> things like this happen...lib stuff...compile stuff...at times
> i think i need spiked mountain shoes to climb the learning
> curve ;)

Things like these don't happen to normal people.