Re: aptitude and dependency handling

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:16:18PM +0100, Christian Schnobrich wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 12:07, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:59:10AM +0100, Christian Schnobrich wrote:
> > > after installing a new package, sometimes the manpage is not available
> > > until I run mandb myself. How to fix this?
> >
> > The man page is not available *at all*? Could you please expand on that?
> > This was often the case with older versions of man-db, but shouldn't
> > happen on woody.
>
> OK, although I might now be over-expanding on the matter...
>
> Just yesterday I was trying to make faxing available. To that end, I
> installed gfax (and all that comes with it, hylafax-client among
> others).
> next thing I do is:
>
> schnobs@pferd:~$ man gfax
> No manual entry for gfax
> schnobs@pferd:~$ man -k fax
> fax: nothing appropriate.

Oh, so you mostly just mean that 'man -k' (a.k.a. 'apropos') doesn't
work until you've rebuilt the database. That's normal and expected;
apropos has to have a database to search, as grovelling through
thousands of man pages takes too long for an interactive program. mandb
is run nightly out of a cron job, but you can certainly run it yourself
if you want updates more quickly.

If 'man gfax' doesn't work until you run mandb, though, that's slightly
weird. Debugging output ('man -d whatever') would help me, if you can
reproduce it.

Cheers,