Re: aptitude and dependency handling

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 12:07, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 11:59:10AM +0100, Christian Schnobrich wrote:
> > after installing a new package, sometimes the manpage is not available
> > until I run mandb myself. How to fix this?
>
> The man page is not available *at all*? Could you please expand on that?
> This was often the case with older versions of man-db, but shouldn't
> happen on woody.

OK, although I might now be over-expanding on the matter...

Just yesterday I was trying to make faxing available. To that end, I
installed gfax (and all that comes with it, hylafax-client among
others).
next thing I do is:

schnobs@pferd:~$ man gfax
No manual entry for gfax
schnobs@pferd:~$ man -k fax
fax: nothing appropriate.
schnobs@pferd:~$ su
Password:
pferd:/home/schnobs# mandb
[approx 12 lines of output]
pferd:/home/schnobs# exit
schnobs@pferd:~$ man -k fax
faxalter (1hylafax)  - alter parameters of a  job queued for transmission
faxcover (1hylafax)  - generate a  cover page for an outgoing facsimile
faxmail (1hylafax)   -  mail-to-fax gateway application
[..and a few more entries]

-eof-