Re: OT Tape backup recomendations

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 02:57:04AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:41:15PM +1030, David Purton (dcpurton@chariot.net.au) wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:00:19AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> > > You say you want a "new backup system," and did not specify it should
> > > be tape.
> > >
> > > I recommend that you consider an external USB drive for backups. It is
> > > the cheapest method you could use in terms of cost/mb, and does not
> > > run the danger of proprietary standards (I've got a bunch of old OS/2
> > > DAT tapes I'd like to access, but that will not be easy, no longer
> > > having the commercial software, etc.). With tapes, you are probably
> > > stuck using the one machine that has the drive, while an external
> > > drive can be moved to any machine.
> > >

> > mmm - thanks - I'll look into it.
>
> What's your threat model?
>
> Nearline storage can be useful and convenient for rapid recovery of an
> accidentally deleted file.
>
> For recovering from a breakin, fire, (ex) employee sabotage, an airplane
> crashing into your office, lightning strike, earthquake, flood, or other
> catastrophic event, you're SOL.
>
> If you need to recover a snapshot (or file) from 12 months ago, a
> three-disk rotation isn't going to do much for you.

We backup offsite on CD, so restoring files 12 months old can be
covered that way.

The main aim is that if a helicopter lands on our office (we are at an
airport, right next to the helicopters ;) ) or someone breaks in a
does a runner wth our server, then we need to be able to get the files
we are currently working on.

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
					Psalm 130:3