Re: OT Tape backup recomendations

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:00:19AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> You say you want a "new backup system," and did not specify it should
> be tape.
>
> I recommend that you consider an external USB drive for backups. It is
> the cheapest method you could use in terms of cost/mb, and does not
> run the danger of proprietary standards (I've got a bunch of old OS/2
> DAT tapes I'd like to access, but that will not be easy, no longer
> having the commercial software, etc.). With tapes, you are probably
> stuck using the one machine that has the drive, while an external
> drive can be moved to any machine.

mmm - thanks - I'll look into it.

Tap is starting to look like a fairly ugly option in terms of cost,
but two or three usb drives might indeed be a good option.

Anything to avoid regarding linux with these beasts?

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
					Psalm 130:3