Re: GUI login screen.

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:02:27 -0600
"Hoyt Bailey" <hoyt13@wiredok.com> wrote:

> There are a few things I dont understand about Debians login screen.
> 1.  Root cannot log in on this screen.  Why?
>
> 2.  The sessions secect drop down menu has: Gnome, Gnome chooser,
> Debian, KDE, Xsession, Failsafe Gnome, Failsafe KDE.  When you leave
> Gnome or KDE by pressing the logout button you are told that you can
> logout, change logins or shutdown.  Well I cant figure out how to
> shutdown other than login as me and start a terminal su, enter
> password, and issue the shutdown command. This is too much
> Cntl-alt-del would be simpler assuming I wanted to go to Windows,  But
> how do you to go to shutdown -h now? Regards;
> Hoyt

I'll let one of the security gurus explain #1 to you.

A quick solution for #2 though, is to edit /etc/inittab and look for the
line containing "ctrlaltdel", then change the -r to -h. Here's what the
unedited line looks like on my Debian Woody system:

ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

With Windows Millennium, Microsoft was able to get the boot time down to
25 seconds. That's almost as short as it's uptime.