Re: Browsers that *don't* support about:blank

Tom wrote:
How come y'all are being adversarial?  I agree with the maintainer.
I'm just curious what browsers support it :-)  Jeez, grandstanding....

Sorry if I came off as adversarial. Neither lynx nor w3m support about:blank. Neither does wget, LWP::UserAgent or any of the Java user agents I've thrown it at. Python doesn't seem to support it either. Simply put, its not a valid url. Any language suited for doing HTTP would have to be patched/modified to deal with it. The more things you think of, the more clearly it is that the 'big' gui browsers use it as a hack to get to a blank startup page.

You know there are such things as "defacto" standards as well as "dejure" standards. It is my contention that many browser authors have found it useful to include "about:blank" primarily as a way of saying "no start page." If it's not a standard, how come everybody's doing it?

Links is doing that. If you start it without any arguments, you get a blank page. Thus the 'defacto' standard of a blank start page is preserved without an explicit tag. There's also a concept of 'interpretation'. :)

The Romans couldn't think of the concept of zero, and thus doing long division in Roman Numerals sucked. :-)

They not only couldn't concieve of zero, the very concept was discouraged. There's a cute book called the History of Zero (or something very close to that), you should read it, its fun.

Did you know that in SQL the truth value of NULL = NULL is NULL. And the group by statement groups together things whose equality truth value is TRUE. Except it groups together NULLs :-)

People have trouble of thinking of things that aren't there. :)

Fair enough. However, the maintainer never said no. They said to show them a standard. So write an rfc. The thing to remmeber is that any changes the debian maintainer makes to links will need to be preserved from that point forward. Therefore it is in their best interrest to only make the minimum changes needed to make moving changes upstream into debain less painful. Perhaps they feel that supporting about:blank will not make it into upstream and will thus be a burden to support moving forward. Remember, debian supports multiple architectures and branches.

Now, if there were a standard the likelyhood of about:blank being supported upstream would increase. So would the likelyhood of a patch to add such behavior being accepted. So really, you could take 2 aproaches. Write a standard, or ask upstream.

My original question of 'what value does it provide' still stands. I can't think of a use that only about:blank can solve. In fact, I think the use of about:blank in the case you mention causes more problems than it solves.

--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

 "The Torah...  The Gospels...  The Koran...
 Each claimed as the infallible word of GOD.
 Misquoted, misinterpreted, misunderstood, and misapplied.
 Maybe that's why he doesn't do any more interviews." - sinfest.com

CARPE NOCTEM, QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc