Re: Stable Debian == obsolete??

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 04:04, Chema wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I recently decided to give Debian a try, expecting that it would be the best distro for me if it where the half good technically than it is 'spiritually' =)
>
> I eated the FAQ (yep, *ALL* of it) and other install docs, jigsaw'd the first disc of the stable release (Woody 30r1 - i386), as I intend to deploy it in several production servers, and fired up the installation.
>
> The installer script got broken after not finding the kernel modules: it suggested me to run the "Install modules" step or something like that, but there was not such option.  No problem, I finished the install manually running the other steps.
>
> When I got to the boot loader options, I was surprised to find only lilo.  I was installing to /dev/hda9, guess in wich Gb is that!!  Well, ok, the release is from december past year, and the installer should be even older, so no "Grooby" loader.  No problem, I skipped the loader install, got into my already installed grub shell and manually loaded the Debian install kernel.  After that, I installed grub, wich was included in the 30r1 disc.
>
> xdm had crashed, but hey, I have comed to *luuuuuv* configuring X at hand, overclocking my monitor resolution.  But no configuration could make it run:

I don't know about obsolete. I've run Mandrake 9.1, SuSE Personal 8.2
and RedHat 9.0. But for my http / mail / blog server, I'm running a
combination of Debian Stable and a few packages from Testing. It's
working well (as in not crashing, and it does what I expect it to do).

My situation is VERY different from yours, though. I'm not running X. My
plan this week is to shut it down, put the box back together (I took off
the case to mess with it), disconnect the keyboard and monitor and just
let it run in a corner.

I just installed from Stable, then added Testing to my
/etc/apt/sources.list to pull in a few newer packages (SquirrelMail
1.4.2 and blosxom).