Re: OT Tape backup recomendations

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 19:46, David Purton wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 05:33:25PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, David Purton wrote:
> >
> > > Our ancient tape drive died and we need to get a new backup system
> > > happening.
> > >
> > > What are debian users recommendations for backups?
> > >
> > > We are a small business and back up about 15GB on a weekly basis, with
> > > daily differentials inbetween.
> >
> > get a similar/identical tape drive ... so all your old archives
> > still is readable ... and media is recyclable and usable
> This would be nice, but my brief reseach so far suggests that there is
> not much around now that will write to HP Colorado 5GB tapes...
> We don't use tape for long term storage - we keep about a fortnights
> worth of files on tape.

Used DLT drives with a 20/40GB capacity are cheap on Ebay, and all
the big media manufactures make the tapes (CompacTape IV), since
they are the native tapes on current 40/80GB drives.

Our shop has used DLT drives for more than a decade, and have been
impressed with their durability, speed, etc.

Note, though, that whereas that 5GB Travan drive probably plugged
into the floppy drive cable, all other drives is SCSI based.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Adventure is a sign of incompetence"
Stephanson, great polar explorer