Re: Simple little basic config questions

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 04:45:17AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:

> > Look what I just found as a new package on unstable:
> >
> > Sux is a wrapper around the standard su command which will transfer your
> > X credentials to the target user.
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/sux/ ( from http://fgouget.free.fr/sux/
> > )
>
> Thanks, but that seems a workaround more than a fix. For example, if I
> logged in as root, I'd be in trouble, without access to a display.

No, I think if you had actually started X as root then you certainly
would have an appropriate $DISPLAY. The issue is not really rootness,
it's that $DISPLAY is set in the environment of the X session which is
run as the user who started X, and .Xauthority is in the home directory
of the user who started X, and it's quite easy to lose all that when
changing users. 'sux' is not a workaround, it's a valid solution.

Stepping back a bit: why would you ever want to start X as root? It's
not generally considered a good idea.

Cheers,