Re: Simple little basic config questions

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 at 18:34 GMT, Haines Brown penned:
> I have more elementary configuration questions arising from my
> transition from RedHat to debian. Sorry to be a pest.
>
> I think this may be is a debian question because user can start the
> FileRunner file manager, but not root. When root tries, it gets the
> error:
>
>   Application can't initialize because it lacks display name and no
>   $DISPLAY environment variable.
>
>   Error stgartup script: can't read "tk_patchLevel": No such variable
>   while executing.
>
> How do I interpret these? In fact, if I try # echo $DISPLAY, nothing
> is returned, which means the root account is not configured properly,
> I'd guess. It would make sense to define the value of DISPLAY
> globally, I should think. If so, how does one do that?
>
> The second part of the error statement would seem to be a script
> error, where the value of tk_patchLevel is never defined, but since
> user can run the application OK, I assume the problem is deeper than
> that. Could it be the missing DISPLAY?
>
> Haines Brown

Look what I just found as a new package on unstable:

Sux is a wrapper around the standard su command which will transfer your
X credentials to the target user.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sux/ ( from http://fgouget.free.fr/sux/
)

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.