Re: Mutt displays mail twice... :-s

* [28/10/2003 00:49] Monique Y. Herman <spam@bounceswoosh.org>:

> > Well, initially, I thought it was from a .forward. Afterwards, I
> > learned that today's Debian/Exim configuration doesn't need a .forward
> > to call procmail. As soon as a .procmailrc file exists in the user's
> > home directory, mail will be handed over.
>
> Where did you find this information?  I'd like to read it myself.  I
> didn't realize that editing a .procmailrc without having procmail set up
> through a .forward could get me into trouble ...

Well, I couldn't really find an "official" statement, but there's lot of
indirect "evidence" on the web. I've spent plenty of time Googling
around for procmail, exim, and fetchmail, which is why I've seen lots of
these messages... :-)

http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20000925/021480.html
http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/lists/slug/2001/May/msg00636.html

Indeed, as is mentioned quite some time, if you have a look at the
relevant part of exim.conf, Debian-exim arguably needs no .forward to
hand mail over to procmail.

<...>

> My newbie-ness agrees with you.

:-) Good to know I'm not alone.

However, I stumbled upon this:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-de/1999/debian-user-de-199906/msg00309.html

...which seems to suggest

* not only that a .procmailrc makes a .forward useless when that
  .forward is only meant to roll on procmail
* but *also* that it's the cause of the duplicate mails, since
  the .procmailrc puts mail in it's place, and the .forward delivers
  mail to procmail a *second* time!

I'll delete my .forward and see what happens...

> Are you using fetchmail?  What does your .fetchmailrc look like?

Yes, fetchmail. Nothing special, really.

set syslog
set postmaster "root"
set daemon 300

poll "server" with proto pop3
   user "username", with password "password", is "user" here no keep;

And some other entries like that.

I'm hoping things end up correctly now that I've gotten rid of the
.forward file...

Greets,
Tom

--
"Mongolian drivers do not care much about pedestrians."