Re: 2.6.0-test8 PCI (?) troubles

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:56:57PM +0200, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Lately, I have been desparately trying to get a second head with a
> separate login on my computer, something that has included quite a few
> approaches. Finally, I've upgraded to sid, and now I'm onto
> 2.6.0-test8, and not only that, it's patched with the ruby patches. I
> got the whole thing from Andreas Schuldei, who has done some great work
> on this. Presumably, what I'm now seeing are not specifically ruby
> problems, so I try to avoid bothering him (unless he wants to chime
> in).
>
> I've googled through the archives, and done the things recommended
> there, like enabling VT, creating /sys, etc. I'm not including all the
> details, since I don't know where to start, I guess for the sake of
> brevity it is no use posting a lot of possibly irrelevant info.
>
> Compile (using make-kpkg) seems to go fine, so does install. Re-run of
> lilo has a couple of warnings, but nothing that has ever meant anything
> before... :-)
>
> When I boot up, I get kernel messages rolling along, but stops with the
> following line:
> PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0d40, last bus=1
> then, the LED on the floppy drive lights up and remain lit, and then it
> just sits there. Nothing happens, I and have to push the reset button
> to reboot. It doesn't tell me it's panicked either.
>
> I find the same line in my 2.4.22 dmesg. What follows after booting
> 2.4.22 is this:
> PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0d40, last bus=1
> PCI: Using configuration type 1
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
> PCI: Using IRQ router VIA [1106/0686] at 00:04.0
> PCI: Disabling Via external APIC routing
> Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4
>
> Now, it seems like 2.6 does things in a different order, for example,
> the framebuffer stuff seems to be loaded before the halt happens.
> OTOH, since it looks as if it is looking through the PCI hardware with
> 2.4.22 after this message, I'm guessing something goes wrong with PCI
> with 2.6.0-test8 too... I could be very wrong here, but it is the only
> clue I have...
>
> Any better clues...?

I have the same chipset. With 2.4, I find I have to turn the APIC off
in BIOS Setup, otherwise the boot hangs when it gets to dealing with
the APIC. I don't know if this applies to 2.6 (haven't tried 2.6 yet
because the driver for my scsi card is broken) but it might be worth a
shot.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons