Re: Simple little basic config questions

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 08:57:41PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> In moving from RedHat to debian, I'm left with some simple little
> basic configuration questions. They all relate to a situation in which
> I operate at this point from console.
>
> 1. Where do I set the global bash prompt format? I changed PS1= in
>    /etc/profile, but that only affects user, not root.

~/.bash_profile for users
/root/.profile for root

> 2. I had placed the command "setterm -blank 0" in RedHat's
>    /etc/rc.d/rc.local to block screen blanking while running in
>    console. Debian does not use that file. What is its equivalent?

Debian uses a directory-full of separate scripts - /etc/init.d - which
are called through symlinks in /etc/rc*. You set one up yourself:

# cat > /etc/init.d/noblank
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/setterm -blank 0 && echo 'Console blanking disabled'
^D
# chmod a+x /etc/init.d/noblank
# ln -s /etc/init.d/noblank /etc/rcS.d/S99noblank

> 3. My usual practice is to avoid xdm and boot to a text login
>    prompt. To do this, in rc2.d I belive I edited the symlink to the
>    xdm program, renaming "S99xdm ->..." to "K99xdm ->...". But in
>    debian I get a beep when I try. Am I imagining I once edited the
>    name of a symlink? Can't one do it in debian?

Sure... dunno about this "beep", because I use the command line for
stuff like this...

# cd /etc/rc2.d
# mv S99xdm K99xdm

...if that doesn't work, it'll still give you more informative error
messages than a "beep".

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons