apache 1.3.28-4 on unstable

Ever since upgrading to apache 1.3.28-4 on unstable some strange things
have happened. Index pages, whether html, shtml, or cgi are no longer
working unless the page is explicitly listed. Example
``http://servername/'' yeilds a 403 Forbidden, but
``http://servername/index.html'' works. Also, I can no longer log into my
installation of nagios-mysql. Does anyone have a clue? Is anyone
experiencing anything similar? My quick scan of this months postings didn't
turn up anything. I must also admit that I didn't do a thorough search of
the bug db either.
----
Charles H. Baker
Unix/Linux Systems Administrator
chbaker at ps dot rockwell dot com
work: 864.281.2409 fax: 864.281.2487 cell: 864.363.5302
If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always
gotten. --Paul J. Meyer