2.6.0-test8 PCI (?) troubles

Hi all!

Lately, I have been desparately trying to get a second head with a
separate login on my computer, something that has included quite a few
approaches. Finally, I've upgraded to sid, and now I'm onto
2.6.0-test8, and not only that, it's patched with the ruby patches. I
got the whole thing from Andreas Schuldei, who has done some great work
on this. Presumably, what I'm now seeing are not specifically ruby
problems, so I try to avoid bothering him (unless he wants to chime
in).

I've googled through the archives, and done the things recommended
there, like enabling VT, creating /sys, etc. I'm not including all the
details, since I don't know where to start, I guess for the sake of
brevity it is no use posting a lot of possibly irrelevant info.

Compile (using make-kpkg) seems to go fine, so does install. Re-run of
lilo has a couple of warnings, but nothing that has ever meant anything
before... :-)

When I boot up, I get kernel messages rolling along, but stops with the
following line:
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0d40, last bus=1
then, the LED on the floppy drive lights up and remain lit, and then it
just sits there. Nothing happens, I and have to push the reset button
to reboot. It doesn't tell me it's panicked either.

I find the same line in my 2.4.22 dmesg. What follows after booting
2.4.22 is this:
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xf0d40, last bus=1
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)
PCI: Using IRQ router VIA [1106/0686] at 00:04.0
PCI: Disabling Via external APIC routing
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.4

Now, it seems like 2.6 does things in a different order, for example,
the framebuffer stuff seems to be loaded before the halt happens.
OTOH, since it looks as if it is looking through the PCI hardware with
2.4.22 after this message, I'm guessing something goes wrong with PCI
with 2.6.0-test8 too... I could be very wrong here, but it is the only
clue I have...

Any better clues...?

Cheers,

Kjetil