Re: libc6 gcc wrapper

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 09:56:39AM +0200, GCS wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I have read on debian-user that you could compile libc6 for yourself
> with a wrapper around gcc. Can you please send it to me? My problem is
> even if I do not change the source package, my compilation is unstable.
> So apt-get source glibc, debuild and dpkg -i causes segfaulting
> binaries. :-(

Er, I think you may have misunderstood... I have a wrapper around gcc
to ensure it is always called with my desired optimisation options
even if I'm compiling a package with ill-behaved makefiles that ignore
CFLAGS etc. Simply to compile a package does not of itself require a
wrapper.

In particular, it doesn't sound like your problem can be solved by the
use of a wrapper. Off the top of my head I'd guess that perhaps your
gcc installation has been corrupted - try reinstalling gcc - or
perhaps you've got a memory fault. That's little more than guessing
though. Can you compile other stuff OK? What exactly segfaults?

I'm CCing this to debian-user, in case anyone there has any insights
(well actually I'm sending it to debian-user and BCCing you since I
can't find your email address on the list for the last few months and
don't want to risk inundating you with swen).

Since you've asked for it, I'm attaching my wrapper... please note:

- it is a *VERY* ugly hack
- the programming sucks
- it may break compilation of some packages that rely on being able to
  set particular options to make things compile properly
- it forces "-O2 -march=i686" if pigeon.gccopts cannot be read (edit
  source and recompile to change this)

To install it:

  rename /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 to /usr/bin/realgcc-2.95
  stick the fake gcc-2.95 in /usr/bin
  stick pigeon.gccopts in /usr/local/etc
  edit /usr/local/etc/pigeon.gccopts with your desired options (one
    per line, fixed strings only)

gccfudge.c is the source code.

--
Pigeon