Kernel 2.6 and framebuffer

I am currently trying out 2.6-test8. I am able to compile and install
it. There are apparently no problems in running the same. I could even
get the nvidia driver working after applying the patches from minion.de.
In all, I have a fully functional system.

But what I miss is my the 1024x768 console screen. I have the following
in my grub/menu.lst

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.22
root            (hd0,2)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22 root=/dev/hda3 ro vga=791
ide0=ata66 idebus=66
savedefault
boot

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.0-test8
root            (hd0,2)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test8 root=/dev/hda3 ro ide0=ata66 vga=791 idebus=66
savedefault
boot

With vga=791, the monitor displays a floating out of sync message box.
But 2.4.22 has no complaints about the same. Is there something else
that has to be set to get the hi-res console?

I checked the config files of both the kernels for the selected options.
They are identical.

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.