Re: Kernel 2.6 and framebuffer

On October 24, 2003 01:32 pm, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> I am currently trying out 2.6-test8. I am able to compile and install
> it. There are apparently no problems in running the same. I could even
> get the nvidia driver working after applying the patches from
minion.de.
> In all, I have a fully functional system.
>
> But what I miss is my the 1024x768 console screen. I have the
following
> in my grub/menu.lst
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.22
> root            (hd0,2)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22 root=/dev/hda3 ro vga=791
> ide0=ata66 idebus=66
> savedefault
> boot
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.0-test8
> root            (hd0,2)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test8 root=/dev/hda3 ro ide0=ata66
> vga=791 idebus=66 savedefault
> boot
>
> With vga=791, the monitor displays a floating out of sync message box.
> But 2.4.22 has no complaints about the same. Is there something else
> that has to be set to get the hi-res console?
>
> I checked the config files of both the kernels for the selected
options.
> They are identical.
>
> Regards,

I had the same problem and I think it is the CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y that is
the cause but I am not positive I made a couple of changes that compile
and it worked so I never tried changing anything after that. If you
want to look at my working config for test9 it can be found here:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/scormier/

Stephen Cormier