Re: What would happen to Challenge/Response if ...

on Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 05:32:59PM +1000, Rob Weir (rweir@ertius.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:42:31PM -0600, Paul E Condon said
> > I've been looking at a lot of options for dealing with Swen
> > and the next Sobig, soon to arrive. In the discussions here,
> > I learned that some people use tmda as a part of their spam
> > defense, and looking into it I soon learned that
>
> If you have the level of MTA control neccessary to automatically reply
> to CR queries, then just block Swen at the MTA level.  I've rejected
> 34552 incoming Swen mails in the past few days, before my MTA even
> receives them.  Unfortunately, my secondary MXs don't know to drop that
> crap, so they accept it and then try to send it on to my mail server,
> making that count rather inflated.

Incidentally, a friend tells an anectdote of turning on teergrubing in
exim4 per Marc Merlin's configuration...and promptly teergrubing the
hell out of his secondary MXs.  Might want to ensure that these are
excluded from any countermeasures you take.

> Hm, now I check, 27253 of those did *not* come from my secondary MXs.
> That is a stupid amount of crap.  In fact, it is 3.8985GB of crap.

Do you always measure crap to four significant digits ;-)

> Imagine that instead of dropping that shit on the floor, you sent a CR
> query.  You've just doubled the number of mails flying around (thought
> not the volume, of course).

Doubled mail.  For no useful effect.  And required 4GB of spool space,
extended over the 1-2 weeks you hold your contested mail.

Peace.

    Scandinavian Designs:  Cool furniture, affordable prices, great service,
    satisfied customer.                  http://www.scandinaviandesigns.com/