Re: stairstep printing on an HP Deskjet

> Corey Hickey wrote:
> [snip]
>> Currently, if I try to print a text file by using:
>> $ lpr text.txt
>> I get a stairstep effect - the first line is good, the next line is
>> tabbed over, the next line even farther, etc. From searching google,
>> I've determined that this is to be expected in HP printers, and must be
>> corrected for in either printcap or some filter. Unfortunately, I
>> haven't come across anything explaining exactly _how_ to go about doing
>> this. Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

I used to have this too. Solved it by installing cups (cupsys,cupsys-bsd)
and hpijs. You might also wish to install cupsomatic-ppd which allready
contains a large number of ppd's. If there isn't a ppd for your printer in
 the cupsomatic-ppd package, look at http://www.linuxprinting.org/ to find
find an appropriate ppd file for your printer. It also contains a lot of
info regarding printing in Linux.

Regards,
Benedict