stairstep printing on an HP Deskjet

I'm trying to set up printing for an HP Deskjet 3820, and having some
trouble. Because I have _no_ experience in the world of Unix printing,
I'm trying to start with the simple stuff and first get text file
printing working.

Currently, if I try to print a text file by using:
$ lpr text.txt
I get a stairstep effect - the first line is good, the next line is
tabbed over, the next line even farther, etc. From searching google,
I've determined that this is to be expected in HP printers, and must be
corrected for in either printcap or some filter. Unfortunately, I
haven't come across anything explaining exactly _how_ to go about doing
this. Could somebody please point me in the right direction?

I'm running Sarge, and all my printer configuration files are unmodified from their defaults.

Please let me know if I've left something out due to newbie-ness.

Thank you,
Corey