Mystery: disappearing .mailfilterrc

In the last week I have twice rebooted, and each time my .mailfilterrc
AND its backup in an RCS directory have disappeared.  Does anyone have
any ideas what could be causing this truly bizarre behavior?

I know the file was there because a) I checked and b) mailfilter ran
fine before the reboot.

I run mailfilter from the preconnect of fetchmail.  fetchmail is
invoked by the /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/fetchmail script.  It runs as user
fetchmail.

The file is in /var/run/fetchmail/.mailfilterrc with RCS in
/var/run/fetchmail/RCS/.  Thr RCS directory itself does survive the reboot.
The files clearly survive having the ppp connection closed down and
restarted (that is, once I get them in place).

/var is a Reiser file system on an LVM volume in an EVMS container.  I
noticed no error messages on boot up, nor do I see any in the log
(though the log has fewer messages than showed on the screen).

I created the file by doing sux to root, then sux fetchmail and
running emacs.  (I mention this because emacs and rcs sometimes seem
to lose track of exactly who I am when I do this, leading to lock
problems on the rcs files).

Unfortunately I have not checked for the file before dialing up, since
I assumed all was well.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on?