Galeon doesn't work correctly with gnome 2.4

Up until I upgraded to gnome 2.4, anytime I invoked galeon, it would
correctly find itself and not try to start a new instance. Now, galeon
no longer does this consistently.

If I launch galeon from an interactive bash shell, then anything that
launches galeon from an interactive bash shell will find the instance,
as will subprocesses started from that shell (i.e., xemacs). I can even
sign on to a text console and do

 DISPLAY=:0 galeon

and it will work. However, anything that doesn't launch galeon from an
interactive bash shell will not find the instance.

Conversely, if I launch galeon from the panel, then try to run galeon
from an interactive bash shell, it won't find the instance, but anything
else that is launched from the panel will find galeon.

I've looked at my environment, but none of the obvious candidates (DISPLAY,
SESSION_MANAGER, GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID) seem to be the culprit.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA