Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2003 #3161

On Sunday 19 October 2003 14:39,
> Eric Walstad wrote:
[...]
> >I'm not really interested in installing Knoppix, just how to get
> > similar application versions with a Debian installation.
>
> Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and duplicate your stable lines (except
> for the security line) _above_ (for priority's sake) those lines.
> Change the new lines to "unstable" where it currently says "stable"
> or "woody". (You're leaving the stable lines in so you can get
> packages that haven't seen any development since stable and therefore
> aren't in the unstable branch, and you're leaving in the security
> line to get security patches, which are applied to stable when
> problems are found but not necessarily incorporated immediately into
> the unstable packages).
>
> Then "apt-get update", followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade".
>
> (This is assuming you're pulling from the net; otherwise you'll have
> to get a repository of unstable on CD or on a local drive, etc).
>
> Then you can install most of what's in Knoppix, if it's not already
> installed/updated by the previous steps, but "apt-get install foo",
> where "foo" is the package for whatever you want to install, like:
>     apt-get install openoffice.org
>     apt-get install mozilla mozilla-firebird
>     apt-get install xawtv
> etc.

Thanks Kent and others for your help.
I had a bit of trouble with the upgrade from woody to sid as KDE
disappeared in the process and I'm not nearly as productive on gnome or
command line.  But, I stumbled across the debian-kde wiki page:
<http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianKDE>
which explains how to install libsensors-1debian1 and other minor KDE
hurdles.  Using the tips on this page I was able to get KDE installed.

All appears to be in good working order again and with up-to-date
packages.  Just what I was looking for.

Thanks again for your help in pointing me in the right direction.

Let-the-Debian-learning-continue-ly yours,

Eric.