Re: HELP - Need a DNS Guru

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 13:57, Keith Goettert wrote:

> Ns1.helpfulhome.com is the DNS server for a variety of email and
> websites.  I have been having trouble lately with email arriving late
> (several days) or not at all.  As far as I can tell, this is a new
> issue.  I am concerned because locally the DNS server appears to be
> working fine.  But when I issue commands like:
>
>    dig ns1.helpfulhome.com @ns1.covad.net
>
> I don't get an answer section.  I have double checked my forward and
> reverse entries and all appears correct.  Can somebody give me a clue??

what domains are hosted on ns1.helpfulhome.com that are experiencing
these issues?

Off the top, the nameservers for .com ( [a-m].gtld-server.net ) are
carrying the following NS records for helpfulhome.com:

hadrian:~> dig @a.gtld-servers.net ns helpfulhome.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> @a.gtld-servers.net ns helpfulhome.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;helpfulhome.com.               IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
helpfulhome.com.        172800  IN      NS      ns1.helpfulhome.com.
helpfulhome.com.        172800  IN      NS      birch.helpfulhome.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.helpfulhome.com.    172800  IN      A       67.100.249.74
birch.helpfulhome.com.  172800  IN      A       67.100.249.74

This means that "The Internet" is expecting to find information about
hosts in the helpfulhome.com domain at EITHER ns1.helpfulhome.com OR
birch.helpfulhome.com.

But the additional information section indicates that ns1. and birch.
are the same machine.  I assume this was to remove
ns1.lightwaveaccess.net as an NS for helpfulhome.com because it was
behaving peculiarly?

At any rate, there is no problem having ns1.helpfulhome.com being the
primary master for helpfulhome.com since the gtld-servers all carry the
necessary "glue" records.

If you need secondary DNS let me know, and get me the list of domains.
I'd be happy to accomodate you.

madmac

madmac@orbent.com
madmac@vauban.com