Re: disable boot logo from LILO (kernel boot command line)?

"Daniel B." <dsb@smart.net> writes:

> Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>>
>> Daniel Barclay wrote:
>> > Is it possible to disable the boot logo from LILO (e.g., via a kernel
>> > boot parameter)?
>> >
>> > With vga=ask in lilo.conf, when I boot and select a video mode, it seems
>> > LILO changes the video mode but the kernel immediately changes the mode
>> > back (to whatever supports the logo).
>> >
>> > I want to boot using a higher resolution mode (to get more lines and wider
>> > lines on the console) and without the logo taking up space and messing
>> > up full-text-screen programs like less.
>>
>> vga=normal gets you 80x25, but I don't think that is what you want.
>>
>> To get hi-res text console you need to have the framebuffer,
>
> That is not correct.  On my home system, "vga = 10" gives me 60 lines
> of 132 characters, which is higher resolution than the default 24 x 80.
>

>> which usually has the logo.  To get rid of the logo, you probably need to
>> recompile the kernel.
>
> That really sucks if true.
>
> Any idea why Debian would leave in (or patch in?) such a flashy-but-
> useless feature given how badly it breaks other things?

A workaround (actually no the best one) is to install a package that sets
a font in the system (fonty, fonty-rg or another). When the font is being
set, the boot logo just disappears. Otherwise, you need to hack the kernel.
Notice that 2.6 kernel versions have the option to use framebuffer without
the funny penguin.

> (You can no longer use vga= in lilo.conf to use a high-resolution text
> mode to see kernel boot messages.  If you run less on the console, the
> top lines of the file aren't visible, apparently because less thinks
> the screen is 24 lines high, but the first 4 lines don't work because
> of the boot logo.)
>

> Daniel
> --
> Daniel Barclay