Re: A newbie's confusion about GPL

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 05:45:48PM +0800, David Palmer. wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:28:52 -0700
> Tom <tb.31009.nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 06:08:33PM -0700, Tom wrote:
> > > I'll repeat: anyplace people want to kill us, we want to kill them.
> >
> > And just so there's no confusion:
> > We want to kill members of the group Bin Ladan is inciting only to the
> >
> > extent that they want to kill us.  Other than that we just don't give
> > a fuck about them either way.
> >
> Up until then, America had been supplying the Taliban with arms, and the
> C.I.A. had been involved with field assistance.

Read "Charlie Wilson's War".  Charlie Wilson was the (cocaine-snortin,
pussy-chasin) Democrat congressman from Texas who for some reason fell
in love with Israel and wanted to fuck up the Soviet Union, so he talked
this working-class Greek fuck-up of a CIA agent from Pennyslvania named
Gus into getting the funding.

The true motivations for it are nothing like your murky intimations.

> When a gas and oil field was discovered under Kazakstan, Turkmenistan
> and Northern Afghanistan larger than the Caspian Sea, that all changed.
> Iraq has 25% of the worlds' oil reserves, and also the
> refineries so close.Perfect solution to the Texas oil lobby who were
> running desperately dry.
> Now, I wonder who they would be backing? And I wonder who they would
> put into power?

[yawn]

> The Gulf of Arabia barricade didn't allow wheelbarrows into Iraq,
> because they could be employed to assist in the manufacture of nuclear
> weapons, even though the basic engredients throughout the world required
> for the manufacture of Nuclear weaponry had been accounted for, and it
> was well known that Iraq didn't have any. Vaccines were not permitted to
> pass for fear that they would be employed in the manufacture of
> biological weapons, even though your average high school science student
> knows that the organisms in vaccines are dead.
>
> I could carry on hitting you with 'facts' like this for ever. I have

Shit, bro, you don't even BEGIN to list the facts.  Read "Brought To
Light", the history of all the dirty deeds the CIA has done since it was
called the OSS.  (Most of this is taken from the Intra-Contra scandal
hearings.)  Will spare you 1000 stories, just don't think I don't know
about what dirty bastards our side have been.

> friends that come from there, and others that were there and saw it for
> themselves, and have described how a wealthy country whos' citizens
> (98%) enjoyed fresh running water, and a good education degenerated into
> a situation where over a million children under the age of five died
> between the two Gulf wars, because those vaccines were not permitted to
> reach the hospitals that were literally begging for them.
> But this is the way a siege works, isn't it?
>
> Arabic culture is tribal. If Saddam had been deposed by his own people,
> he would have simply been replaced by someone just as bad, and quite
> possibly worse. The tribe that is in power benefits at the expense of
> the others. This is the way their culture works, and this is the way it
> will be when America and its' allies leave. At least this is the
> situation as my Arabic Moslem friends and acquaintances tell me it is.
> But then we can't expect the U.S. Government to have sources as good as
> mine, can we?
>
> Believe it or not, this is a completely unbiased outlook.
> Just ask my many friends that were born and brought up in the U.S. and
> observe with the objectivity and distance that time tends to lend, and
> don't like what they see.
> Regards,

Fact is, this isn't about "gotcha" our "we're good and you're bad".
This is about: who is pointing a gun at me?  and what am I going to do
about it?

If you want to sling mud at America, go right ahead; I can top you 10
times over.  Doesn't change my threat perceptions, or my response.