Trouble with Thunderbird

I just saw this morning that the mozilla-thunderbird package
is available in Sid.  I did and 'apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird
mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail' and everything seemed to go fine
(except for some complaints about the -enigmail package trying
to clobber files that belong to the plain -thunderbird package).
I was able to fix the errors with 'dpkg --force-overwrite'.
Nonetheless, it doesn't work.  I have the binary tarball (for 0.3) from
mozilla.org installed in /usr/local.  I removed the symlink to the
executable from /usr/local/bin and tried running the new one
(I specified /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird).  But, nothing happens.
I get no error messages in the xterm, it just flat-out does not
even start.  I get a brief spike to about 45% load on the CPU, then
nothing.  I even *gasp* rebooted my machine, and still nothing.

Any ideas what is going on?

-Roberto