Re: Cannot use type1 fonts with OpenOffice

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 07:57:13PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 01:27:31AM +0200, Ernest Adrogu? wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using OpenOffice 1.1.0 and want to use some fonts
> > that I have in /usr/local/.../{truetype,type1}. They are
> > visible with gtkfontsel and gtk2fontsel, and show up in
> > xlsfonts and fc-list as well, but with OpenOffice I can
> > only use the TrueType ones. The Type1 ones just doesn't
> > appear in the list.
> >
> > However the Helvetica & co. which are also Type1 work
> > fine. I've moved all the fonts to /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
> > updated the fonts.dir and fonts.scale files, but in
> > vain. Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > P.S.: Please, CC me in replies.
>
> I don't know what release you are using but I had a very similar
> problem. I run unstable and I think fonts for some apps are handled by
> fontconfig and libxft.

I'm using Debian "Woody" with some packages (xfree, gtk,
freetype, openoffice...) from testing.

> When configuring fontconfig I had said that I didn't want it to use
> bitmapped fonts (because it told me they were not as good) and then
> later I realized that only truetype fonts were showing up in apps. Then
> reading through the messages on this list I found out about fontconfig,
> did a "dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig" and chose use bitmap fonts and
> things were ok.

This only changes the paths where fontconfig finds fonts,
but OpenOffice still doesn't see them. Although every other
app using fontconfig/xft/x11 do. So I think this is a
oo-specific problem.

Thank you, anyway.

--
Ernest Adrogué